Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Survey Says...

This week I am happy to share with you the results of a "snapshot" survey we took in our class the third weekend in June. This is only a "snapshot" because the methods were by no means scientific. But they do give us a glance at the spiritual lives of 115 5th and 6th graders on one particular weekend.

We collected surveys from 49 boys and 66 girls.

Q: If your parents talked with you about God, would it be:
5 - Strange and unusual - my parents and I don't talk much about God
1 - Weird but not unusual - my parents talk about God but I don't like it
19 - Unusual but not weird - They don't talk with me about God, but I wouldn't mind
89 - Normal and not weird at all - my family often talks about God

Q: When I talk to my parents about a problem,
17 - They usually take care of it for me
88 - They usually talk to me about what I can do to solve the problem
4 - They usually don't listen or offer any advice

Q: How easy would it be for you to invite a friend to church?
43 - Pretty easy - I do it a lot
54 - Easy, but I don't invite anyone
6 - I wouldn't invite someone because I don't think they'd have a good time
7 - I'd be embarrased to invite someone to church

Q: If someone asked you what it means to be a Christian, how easily could you answer their question?
62 - No problem, and I could show them places in the Bible that proved what I was saying
30 - I could do it, but I couldn't use the Bible
17 - I really wouldn't know what to say

Q: How easy would it be to bring up God in a conversation with your friends?
5 - I would never do that
41 - I could try, but my friends wouldn't be interested
60 - They would talk about it and it wouldn't be weird

Q: Do you know another adult besides your parents who you feel helps you as a Christian and who you can trust?
100 - Yes
7 - No

Q: When your parents say, "Time for church," do you usually think
54 - Yeah! Can't wait to go
49 - It's ok, I don't mind
6 - I'd rather stay home

Q: I think the 4th-6th grade room is
52 - Mostly a friendly place and I don't worry about not knowing anyone
52 - Mostly a friendly place, but I don't know too many people there
3 - Mostly an unfriendly place and I worry there won't be anyone to talk to

Q: When someone is getting picked on, are you usually
69 - Away from it
3 - Leading it
7 - Not leading it, but joining in on it
20 - The one getting picked on

Q: How many kids at this church would you say you know, as in, you recognize them and know their name and would talk to them at church?
4 - I know no one
6 - I know one kid
10 - Know two kids
11 - Know three kids
12 - Know four kids
14 - Know five kids
5 - Know xix kids
6 - Know seven kids
32 - Know more than seven kids

Q: How many kids at this church would you say you are close friends with - not only would you hang out with them at church, but you would call them and invite them over to your house or to do something?
21 - No one
19 - One kid I would consider my friend
20 - Two kids I would consider my friends
17 - Three kids
6 - Four kids
8 - Five kids
1 - Six kids
2 - Seven kids
5 - More than seven kids

Q: When do you normally pray? (Kids could indicate more than one answer)
34 - In the morning
33 - At school
75 - Before I go to bed
70 - At family meals
77 - Whenever I need God's help
40 - With my parents
25 - Some other time (various answers)