Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What I've learned from my time in K/1

Guest Post contributed by Tatiana Kildiszew, outgoing Saturday night coordinator for Kindergarten & 1st grade.

It sounds silly but as I took the position of K/1 coordinator I remember assuming that I would be the one blessing others and that I would be the one teaching the children. I never anticipated how much God would bless me and teach me through these kindergarten and first grade children. One thing I came to see quite clearly is that the faith of a child is real. The pure spirituality children contain is beautiful thing, a treasure often hidden by the worries and realities of the harshness of the adult world we live in. Looking back on my time serving in Kindergarten and 1st grade ministry I am reminded of many precious memories when God gave me a glimpse of just how sincere and precious the faith of these little ones is. These memories are just too special to keep to myself, so I will share a few.

One night as parents were picking up their children I was talking to a Kindergarten girl. This little girl regularly attends Saturday night service. She was usually in my small group, so I knew her well. We had played together, prayed together and danced to silly worship songs together. Being the youngest of four she would always tell me stories of her older siblings or what she had done throughout the week. But this day the light in her eyes proved she had something of more value to share with me. She looked up at me and with a big smile, bursting with pure joy, she blurted, “Jesus speaks to me.”

I was surprised at her words but I did not doubt her profession. From knowing this little girl it was obvious to me that she shone with the light of Christ. The presence of Jesus radiated from her. Through her questions and comments during small groups I had already observed the way she lived her life in such awe and wonder of Jesus. Excited to hear more, I began a conversation with the little girl about how Jesus speaks to her. When I asked her what Jesus told her, she replied, “Just things. Important things.” As she shared more throughout the weeks on the topic I saw that this faith she held was genuine. She expressed that Jesus spoke to her through her Spirit and in dreams. What a powerful faith! Over time we talked about listening for Jesus so His voice will not get muted as she grows older, as well as writing or drawing the things He speaks to her. Through all our conversations I discovered what a beautiful relationship she has with Jesus, talking back and forth.

There was one night that we had a guest teacher speaking for the weekend in K/1 ministry. She was demonstrating Old Testament story pointed towards Jesus and the need for a savior. There was this one kid who was very intrigued with the story. He frequently raised his hand to ask questions and make comments. His comments were so insightful. It was apparent that he had heard the story before. He was so bold as to raise his hand and tell the teacher that she had actually forgotten some parts of the story. When he did this he would continue sharing the story in such a way, it appeared as if he was teaching it to us all. Chuckling, the teacher would thank the boy and explain that she had just not gotten to that part yet. One of these times the young boy raised his hand he explained with frustration, “The most important part of the story is that Jesus died for our sins. He died to save us.” A couple of the leaders, including myself giggled in amazement. It was funny but the young boy spoke such truth. The teacher again tried to contain him. He rambled on, “I just do not think you understand. Jesus died and that is the most important thing in the world.” At five or six years old this boy could see the things that mattered in this world clearly. God had revealed His truth to his little spirit. For this young boy the truth was such a pressing matter he had to share it with us all.

One last story. I believe it shows the quiet transformation and the work God is doing in one child. In my first couple of months in K/1 ministry, his mother shared with me that her son had not accepted Christ yet. She was worried about this because her other kids had already done that and were living life for Him. It is true that there are some children who see the truth at a young age and accept Christ. I can’t speak to what was in this particular young boy's heart, but what I do see him seeking to know and learn more about God. Like all five- and six-year-old boys, this young boy likes to “play hard”. You can find him building car ramps or building Lego towers at the start of service. However when worship begins you will find him quietly standing up against a wall with his eyes shut tightly. Sometimes he will sing, other times he will do the hand motions without singing. Sometimes he will neither sing nor do hand motions, but just sit silently with his eyes closed. When asked about this the young boy shared with me, “I am just listening to the words. I like to listen to the words.” During the story this young boy is rarely distracted by his friends or others. He sits and listens throughout the entire story, no matter how long the teacher speaks. He also asks complex questions of how and why. There is no doubt in my mind that the words of worship are piercing his young heart, while the words of truth from Bible stories are flooding his little mind. This young boy is listening, learning, and seeking. I have seen the way God is stirring this young boy. What a beautiful thing that God is working in these little children, revealing himself to them.

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14) After my time in K/1 ministry this verse holds different weight. The faith of a child is so genuine, so meaningful. Children see God with a clear vision. They understand God’s truth and the freedom it gives. They seek with honest hearts. It has been such an honor and true joy to learn from and be blessed by the children of K/1. I hope you, like me, have the opportunity of experiencing the treasure of a child’s faith.