Sunday, August 10, 2008

Helping kids who get left behind

While I'm away, I've invited some others to contribute to this blog. This week, an article by Christine Kollar about her family's involvement in ChildHelp USA. Since moving to California in 2005 and working in the foster care system, I've developed an awareness and a heart for any kid who is in crisis or at-risk because of a unstable home environment. The church has a role to play, reaching out and reaching in. Some of these kids are in our classrooms every weekend. Some are in our communities, but they are invisible: the private nature of our lives and "don't ask-don't tell" ethic keeps us an arm's length from other people's family details.

I write frequently about the importance of a church's ministry to pre-teens; obviously, as a pastor to that age group I believe in it. But I want to challenge the church to raise its own awareness about kids in crisis who may never come through our doors and who are not necessarily living in Third World countries, but right here in California.


“We don’t know how good we have it. We forget to record our favorite TV shows on Tivo and it’s a crisis. These children are abused, neglected, and forsaken, until they are even on the verge of death. I don’t think anyone ever died over Tivo. I feel I’ve made a difference in a child’s life who has absolutely no one."
- A quote from my 15 year old daughter.

“All Who Enter Will Find Love” is the sign posted above the ChildHelp rescue village. ChildHelp is a village for severely abused children located in Banning, CA. There are multiple locations throughout the U.S. and the world as well. A few months ago I made my first visit to the ChildHelp rescue village. I had some idea of what it might be like but I had no idea that I would be so overwhelmed with love for a 13-year-old boy who stole the heart of my family and myself.

My family and I (husband, 15-year-old daughter, 12-year-old son, and 8-year-old son) visited on a Sunday in April during their spring festival. The room was like a warehouse/gymnasium. There was food, games and dollar store prizes. We had been assigned a 13-year-old boy, “John”, as our “special friend” for the day. As John came to meet us he had such excitement on his face. He was one of the lucky ones; there were about 40 other children that day who wouldn’t have a special friend for the day. John came up and greeted us with a grateful hug. We sat down with him for about 20 minutes, getting to know each other, and then he lead the way to show us around. We played games, laughed, talked, ate and just enjoyed each other's company. As the day progressed John didn’t leave our side. It was then that I realized that this was divine intervention.

As my family continued to hang out with John, I decided to take a tour of the village and find out more about the surroundings. I was filled with joy to find out that the first and most important place in the village was a tiny beautiful chapel. I spoke with the pastor who has such a passion for these children. He told me that aside from safety from their parents, the very purpose of the village is to put each child on a spiritual journey of healing, hope, and above all, love. These children have only seen beatings, fear, threats, sexual abuse, and many have come in on death's bed and this village is the first time that they have seen the face of love. I was overwhelmed with sadness to know that this was the life that John had lived, and in the next moment I was filled with humility to know that God can actually use me to make a huge impact on John’s life forever.

We now talk to him on the phone and encourage him weekly. As I said, he is 13 years old, but he is only in the 3rd grade (due to abuse and neglect). He thrives on encouragement and being reminded that God loves him. The blessings that my husband and I have received from that day are indescribable and yet pale in comparison to the blessings that my children received. It opened their eyes to the true blessings that they have.

There are still many children at the village hoping for a “special friend”. The commitment is $50 per year, 3 or 4 visits per year, and a weekly or monthly phone call of encouragement, and above all else the commitment to pray for the child.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

There are over 3 million reports of abuse in the U.S. each year. To find out more about ChildHelp log on to www.childhelp.org.